You’ve got this far already – the interview.
That means that you’ve written a great resume / CV, you’ve found an opportunity and made a great approach.
You’ve impressed your potential employer to the extent where they want to see you for a face-to-face interview to decide if you’re the right person for the job.
The last thing you want to do now is blow your chances because of an avoidable mistake.
So take note of this list, and make sure you don’t fall foul of any of these…
1. Turning up late for your interview.
2. Dressing inappropriately (see our article ‘How to dress for an interview‘).
3. Lying with your interview answers.
4. Criticizing a previous boss / employer / colleague.
5. Not having prepared any questions to ask the interviewer.
6. Not having prepared some answers to standard or common interview questions (get our free interview guide).
7. Chewing gum during your interview.
8. Your mobile phone ringing / beeping / buzzing during the interview.
9. Using slang when talking.
10. Smelling of alcohol or being hungover.
11. Bringing your children to the interview.
12. Giving one word answers to questions, or answers without any useful detail.
13. Not introducing yourself to each interviewer (see our article on making a good first impression).
14. Slouching in your chair.
15. Fidgeting and twitching.
16. Not making eye contact.
17. Not looking interested and enthusiastic about the role.
18. Forgetting your interviewer’s name.
- 7 things to learn from your first job interview
- The interview strategy used by only 1% of job candidates
- Informal Interviews: How To Succeed And Secure That Job
19. Using management jargon or clichés.
20. Not knowing anything about the company or the role you are interviewing for.
21. Waffling with your answers to questions.
22. Not having copies of your resume / CV with you (see our article on how to write a resume).
23. Struggling to answer questions about information on your resume / CV.
24. Coming across as desperate.
25. Not providing good reasons why you are the best person for the job.
26. Not demonstrating how you can add value to the company.
27. Being overconfident or cocky.
28. Failing to notice how the interviewer is responding to you.
29. Talking over or interrupting your interviewer.
30. Not providing answers that show you in a good light.
31. Bring your own drink into the interview.
32. Looking bored or uninterested.
33. Losing attention or focus.
34. Talking too much.
35. Arriving too early (20 minutes early max).
36. Asking inappropriate questions of the interviewer (see our questions to ask in an interview).
So there you have it. 36 common interview mistakes to avoid. Now you have no excuses for making any of these mistakes!